[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Thu Jun 15 19:40:40 EDT 2006

Igor is right that *s indicating the festivals I like the best would be
unassailable because I am the expert of my own opinion, or at least have a
reasonable claim to be.  If I were to use such a criterion, the assignment
of the *s would change from those listed yesterday.

Not having attended or planning to attend all 40+ festivals in North
America this year, my list of favorite festivals wouldn't be a very
comprehensive survey.  Maybe others on this list should discuss the
attributes they like in festivals and how the various festivals might
stack up against their criteria.

If we work with the delineation has Igor has set it out separating dancing
festivals from teaching festivals, we do get considerable power of
discenment.

For dancing festivals, the attraction is in the opportunity to dance with
lots of other great dancers and in avoiding paying the registration fees
necessary to pay for big-name instructors.  Some festivals have grown
quite large because the organizers have done a good job of catering to
those who just want to dance by keeping the instructional fees down. Maybe
there are more good dancers at dancing festivals, but some of those
attending may simply be complacent in developing their skills.

For teaching festivals, the attractiion is the opportunity to learn from
the biggest-name instructors.  Because these festivals have higher
registration fees, most of those attending will concentrate their efforts
on dancing rather than the milongas.  If the festival offers a beginner
track, many beginners are likely to attend.  At one such festival I
attended a few years back, people actually ditched some of the milongas
because they were too tired from taking classes during the day.  There
might be more beginners at a teaching festival, but you can be assured
that those attending are working to improve their skills.

With best wishes,
Steve