[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 19:45:57 EDT 2006

Hi Igor,

You might be surprised about how good the dancers are who seek more teaching
by the masters. I think it's wrong to say that festivals that de-emphasize
teaching are per force the festivals where the best dancers go. I've been to
both types of festivals and I can assure you that there are plenty of
not-so-good dancers at the festivals where the teaching is de-emphasized.

It's shame really, the very people who disdain the classes are most often
those who should take them. I think that it's very nice to put more work and
attention on the milongas, but I don't agree that having great teachers will
automatically lower the level of dancing. That's just plain wrong.

I know that some festivals get a good share of beginner level dancers.
Perhaps more than experienced dancers, but that's not related to the
presence or absence of big name masters. Next time you go to one of these
"no-teacher" festivals, make an honest assessment of the quality of all the
dancers. You'll probably find that there are many that have only a beginner
level of skill. This is not to insult or criticize them. After all, they
probably are new to tango.

Also, many apilado style dancers stay away in droves from workshops where
salon tango is taught by masters. The material taught requires a lot more
body control and skill than the apilado style requires. A guy or woman who's
been dancing 6,7 or 10 years and can only dance apilado does not like to
look like a bumbling beginner in an intermediate or advanced class taught by
someone like Gustavo Naveira.

Regards,

Manuel

visit our webpage