[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Thu Jun 15 18:36:09 EDT 2006

Thank you, Stephen and Bill, for clarification!

Now I understand that festivals are divided in Social and Learning, right!

Not social and stage, but social and learning, of course !

I would expect from a good social festival emphasis on Milongas. I would
expect abundance of good dancers, formation of good dancing floor, and
presence of experienced DJs who can make it good for everyone: socializing,
personal trance, exchange of ideas, or highest-technique dancers. Teachers?
This festivals could survive without them, but good performance always makes
the axis of the rotation, and inspiring workshops generate new ideas and
drive. Teachers compete to participate in these festivals: here they make
their Names.

The major goal of travel to this festival: meeting great dancers, learning
and exchange of ideas on the floor.

Learning festivals are probably the beginning of social festivals. They just
build local community,  universal, around a teacher, or dedicated to a
particular style. These are either true local events, or they make emphasis
on great Masters of the dance. These festivals depend on teachers and their
Names.

The major goal of travel to this festivals: learning from teachers. There
are less good dancers, which might not be a bad idea for a traveling
aficionado!

What else?
Igor.

PS. Stephen, You should call your asterisks: "* - festivals what Stephen
Brown consider the best". And nobody could complain. I think it is a
perfectly good idea.

PPS: And there is such thing: Festival Spirit..