[Tango-L] Surrender: Trying again

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Jun 6 13:04:57 EDT 2006

Hey Caroline,

Just a word of caution, in the hope that your partner isn't misled by
any of this:

What a follower feels in a man's lead, and what a man feels, are often
two different things. And pure pleasure in the dance is often weighted
towards the follower.

My girlfriend has several years' more tango experience than I do. But
until I explained exactly how many things are involved on the leader's
side-- how much (conscious or unconscious) analysis we do, plus
navigation, plus keying into the music and creating room for our
partners' free expression, plus maintaining connection to everything--
she had no idea that we can't just release ourselves into the moment.
Ideally, that's what we'd like to do, sure; but we also have to make
sure we don't release ourselves into a wall.

Plenty of men, of course, surrender to the moment quite freely-- and
bulldoze the line of dance, tailgate other couples, cut across lanes,
ignore the music's phrasing, fail to "arrange" the song into linear
movements and circular movements... Yay, good for them. Score one for
oblivion.

In the meantime, I'd like to defend your partner's ego a bit, and
reassure him that followers make it sound quite easy, when it is, in
fact, not. Once my girlfriend understood that I can't enjoy the dance
the way she does-- with total abandon-- because I've got
Responsibilities (the social burden of which Sergio/Nau spoke), she had
a much more tender attitude. Almost a compassionate remorse. Her
pleasure was tinged by a certain sadness, derived from the knowledge
that she was able to enjoy all I was giving her, while I was not.

Now, I might be putting words in her mouth, but I believe this
self-awareness, this interior reflection, actually enhances the
experience, and makes it more poetic. Suddenly she's more conscious of
what's really going on-- and it's not so "just let yourself go" anymore.
As a result of her knowledge, she responded with a kind of tragic
vengeance against fate (to put it in silly but perhaps accurate terms),
and refused to break the connection. She maintained it, with a steadfast
will I haven't seen before, like a host who refuses to sit down at the
table until every one of her guests has been served.

She became, to some extent, self-denying.

Now, maybe I'm missing the point, or maybe I'm speaking from a position
too far beyond this initial surrender to realize that some people are
too constipated to give of themselves freely. But in any case, I think
we've got to acknowledge-- fully-- how much the leader has to manage
(i.e., so that the follower doesn't have to even know about it) before
we start talking about how easily he ought to surrender himself to
satisfaction.

Sometimes when I hear followers talk about the pleasures of tango, I
feel like they're telling me how to pee, without understanding that men
have to Aim. This isn't to discount the followers' point; I just wish
sometimes that they wouldn't put everything in terms of free-flowing
pleasure, and realize that there's a lot of ordering, shaping, and
Apollonian work going on, which is (at its rare best) made completely
invisible to them.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC