[Tango-L] a teaching moment

Jennifer Park jhapark at pennswoods.net
Tue Jun 6 07:47:10 EDT 2006

One time when I was teaching a student, she burst out crying and hugged me.
All I could think was "What did I do?"  (wrong, if you know what I mean).  I
really didn't have much experience either so it wasn't like I had grand
knowledge to purport.  She said she could feel the music and felt like she
was really dancing and understanding it for a change.  I wasn't dancing to
patterns; I had merely played a few songs and asked her to pick the one she
liked most and that was the one we danced to.

I wish too I could say what I did but I still shrug my shoulders.  I'm not
any hotshot at all either.  Haven't been to BA... but I am actually at US
declared poverty level income for a family of three.  Would jump at the
chance for a trip to Tango Mecca if could finance it.  ...So if Derik would
like to set up a donation fund for "the grand enlightment of a US woman
tango dancer who leads too much", I'd welcome it.   BTW, I lead because it
is "fun" and too since where I live the most likely and closest (within an
hour+ drive) dance partners I'd have would be the cows next door, I dance
most with my daughter, who is 11, and who never hesitates to tell me when
I'm leading badly, off music, and the like.  I think 11 year olds might have
more sense of these things than most adults...

One must adapt to what one has and make the best of it.

Jen