[Tango-L] Encouraging DJism

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Jun 1 18:21:37 EDT 2006

Hi Trini,

This isn't my area of expertise, but I have a few observations that
might be of some help...

First, it takes a real music lover, plus a lively audience, to produce a
fine DJ. You need a tanguero with the discriminating taste of a
collector, not just a milonguero who's passionate about dancing. So with
that in mind, you might consider recruiting people from the larger pool
of DJs-- people who already collect other kinds of music, and who might
get turned on to tango. I know of at least one such import in the DC
area, and he's solid. He doesn't even dance (or so he claims), but he's
got the tango bug, and an awful lot of recordings, which he cleans up
and tweaks himself. (His cortinas are also refreshingly creative.)

To recruit someone, you might offer free dance instruction in exchange
for the commitment-- and for learning how to follow the dancers' tastes
and desires in your area. That might give a salsa or club DJ more of an
incentive to get kidnapped by the tango.

Also, whether or not you follow the above lead, you might look at your
rates and your milonga schedule, and figure out how to make both more
attractive to a regular DJ. DJs are freelancers, and need a gig to be
worth their while if they're going to commit not only their paid time
(which takes them away from other and perhaps more lucrative gigs), but
also their unpaid prep time, which can be very extensive. It's got to be
good business.

If you've got dancers who are venturing into the DJ side of things, I
don't know what else to suggest except getting them in touch with as
many people as possible. I've observed that DJs don't like to share
their hoards unless there's some kind of swap involved; but like most
fanatics, they're more than willing to talk shop with anyone who
expresses a genuine interest in their great store of knowledge. (Same
goes for college professors, incidentally... Pick a subject, pick a
college, and write a few emails: you're bound to enjoy a lot of
expertise.) Also, really applauding your young DJs, and supporting them
by giving them a chance to learn things by trial and error, is
invaluable, from what I've seen. Give them an opportunity to make
mistakes, and more often than not they'll succeed without even realizing it.

As for music collections... Yes, they're expensive, but share them
anyway. As an artist, I'm fully aware of the intellectual copyright
issues involved. I'm also aware of the atrocities committed by record
companies, both to public domain recordings and to living artists-- not
to mention the consumer. The companies ruin careers on purpose for the
sake of tax write-offs, to offset the lost promotional costs caused by
their own failed projects; they distort old recordings to the point of
absurdity, and re-release them under the name of the original (and now
almost unrecognizable) artists, trying to turn a profit off the names
they don't even respect; and they flood the market with crap nobody
wants, only to complain that MP3 technology is lowering their profits.
Meanwhile, event DJs have been spinning tunes for 30 years, and the
record companies have been following Them, while (illegally) paying
radio stations to give their releases airtime. Why? _When people hear
songs they like, they often go out and buy the recordings._ It's that
simple. But nobody gives credit to event DJs. So forget about
intellectual copyright issues. If anything, DJs are providing free
advertising, and the record companies don't even deserve the sales they get.

I hope all that's of some use to you!

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC