[Tango-L] Encouraging DJism

Tanguero Chino tanguerochino at netscape.net
Thu Jun 1 16:33:37 EDT 2006

Trini wrote:

> I am curious about how a community can encourage
> more people to become deejays.  We have had some
> deejaying seminars ....

I hope you do get one or more of the seminar attendees interested in DJing.

Unfortunately, I don't think people can be convinced to take up DJing like
they can be convinced to try dancing.  For one thing, the start up cost
for DJing is prohibitive, especially if one insists on purchasing all the
music through the proper channels.

Most DJs teach as well as organize milongas.  Teaching allows them to
indulge in their passion, providing a source of revenue to offset the cost
of purchasing their equipment and music.

There may be a few who start as music collectors because they love the
music and the dance, and eventually be convinced to start DJing as a way
to share their collection.

The only other case that I have seen is a milonga organizer training
someone to DJ, providing both the music and the equipment.  This allowed
the organizer to take care of other aspects of the milonga.

Good luck

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.