[Tango-L] Qualities of female leaders, was Thoughtful men....

Derik Rawson rawsonweb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 11:38:13 EDT 2006

Dear Tango Mail:

My grandfather and my mother were both Finnish
citizens before coming to the USA. He and she both
danced Argentine Tango in Shanghai at the French Club
(Le Club Sportif) in Shanghai.  My grandfather was in
the diplomatic service. He worked for the President of
Finland. He also knew how to dance Finnish tango which
he did not like.

I also dance tango here in Houston at Salento Cafe
with Inga who is Finnish, and I have a good Finnish
friend, Unto, who dances real Argentine Tango as it
should be danced.  Inga and Unto do not like Finnish
tango either, because they think it is boring.  In
fact "boring" is the exact word that Unto uses to
describe it.

Look....

When you substitute the accordion for the bandondeon,
make the women the leaders instead of the men, ignore
what the Argentine are telling you, then you end up
with a completely different dance.  The new dance is
not wrong, until you call it Argentine Tango.  The
Finnish tango is not Argentine Tango in feeling at
all.  The US American Tango is also not Argentine
Tango in feeling at all.

Thank you for your comments.  Long live Finland.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

--- Tango Mail <tango at springssauna.com> wrote:

> Derik,
>
> What do the Finns not understand about tango, or did
> you refer to something else?
>
> In case you did not know, Tango, as it is danced in
> Finland (and now referred to as Finnish Tango), is
> as it was danced in Argentina 85-90 years ago
> (around the time it was introduced to the Finnish
> elites).
> We Finns are a stubborn race and change comes slowly
> or comes never. Only thing that changed was the key
> in the music and bandoneon has been changed to the
> more readily available accordion.
> Few Argentines admit how relatively recent all the
> figures and moves are that now make AT so
> distinctive, but I've heard
> it from the horse's mouth a few times personally.
>
> Since you know the meaning of "lol", I assume you
> are Internet-savvy and will understand when I tell
> you:
> STFU NOOB. Quit putting people down. You have strong
> opinions, so be it, so do I. But express them
> without
> making people feel as small as your ***** or
> insulting.

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com