[Tango-L] Fw: Leading and following roles

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Thu Jun 1 11:12:46 EDT 2006

> After reading Astrid's note where she does not understand my sense of
humor
> I decided to share with you the thoughts of a German woman (the same as
> Astrid).

Here comes the first stereotype. Are you saying that the reason I do not
understand "your sense of humour" is that I am German? May I ask, did anyone
else notice Sergio's "sense of humour" in his posting? What about Chris, who
is from the UK, I believe, Jake Spatz, with his indefinable "Eastern
European descent etc."? Anyway, ok, so Nicole is German and therefore she
must be the same as me, right...(Nicole lives in Holland, by the way).
Stereotype No. 2.

> As a German I had been educated as a woman that " takes the role of the
> man". A woman that at the very least knows as much as the man does. A
woman
> that can and does measure up to the masculine world.
> I had never lived the man as my companion, as somebody to talk with in the
> middle of a group, my interlocutor.

While it is true that in Germany, women are educated to have the same rights
as men (as least in theory) that does not mean, women and men are no
companions. As a matter of fact, I do not see any contradiction at all
between equality and companionship, talking in the middle of the group etc.,
IMO equality on the contrary facilitates companionship.

> That desire to find a place by a man, was one of the reasons that, by
> instinct I had discovered tango for myself  . Tango was a place where I
> finally could be a woman.

Well, good for you, Nicole, but there are many ways to discover that in
life, one does not have to wait until one finally comes across tango...

> Full of sensations, intuitive, feminine and strong at the same time. I
> learned how to be a companion without competing.

Fine, accepted.

> I started to enjoy the power of being able to mix my feminine strength
with
> the masculine one challenging it and at the same time  to let myself to be
> conquered.

Again, also here, one does not need to wait til one becomes a tango
dancer...

> I also learned with more precision in Argentina what leading and following
> mean : both the woman and the man have the same value, but despite of
that,
> they are not equal in form; both are equally responsible with respect to
the
> couple but each one in his own role.

This reminds me of what a German once said after coming back from a vaction
in Brazil:"Brazil is nice, but what I found really annoying is that the
Brazilians act as though they were the ones who invented sex"...
(...)
Then Sergio concludes:
It is difficult to explain what an orgasm
> is to a person that never experienced one.

May I ask what exactly you are trying to say about me, Sergio? ; )

Astrid