[Tango-L] Qualities of female leaders, was Thoughtful men....

Derik Rawson rawsonweb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 10:22:27 EDT 2006

Dear Trini:

It is only a fact of life at USA milongas, not
Argentine milongas.  No problem. People here can do
what they want, but please call what you are doing
what it is, "US American Tango".  We in the US are
like the Finnish people. We just do not understand.

US Americans are not dancing Argentine Tango.  Please
stop insulting the intelligence of the Argentines, by
calling what you are doing Argentine Tango.  It is not
that, and frankly in my book it is dull and boring,
just like the Finnish tango.  It has zero electricity,
because the male-female relationship is screwed
up...lol.

Argentine women aspire to be great followers, not
great leaders.  US American women who aspire to become
great leaders, to compete with the men, have it wrong.
 They are wasting everyone's time, including theirs.

--- "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com>
wrote:

Quite frankly, though, I do not get what the recent
fuss was about.  Women leading women and men leading
men is already a fact of life at a milonga, except for
in BsAs, (like this is a surprise?).  Denying it or
pooh-poohing isn't going to change that for those who
do not like it.  Oh well.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

wrote:

> I am afraid, Marisa, that the answers you receive
> would still be comparing apples and oranges, even if
> your conditions are met.  The reason is simply
> because
> of the changing relationship of the follower to
> his/her partner.
>
> For example, when I follow a woman, I know perfectly
> well that she is not interested in the sensual
> aspect
> of the dance with me (at least, not the ones I
> follow).  So I dance with her differently than I
> would
> a man.  With a man, I might allow some sensual
> pleasure as a byproduct of an intense dance (it
> never
> gets that intense with another woman).  Basically,
> one
> might dance more freely with one gender than with
> another.  I suspect it would be the same for male
> followers.  So comparisons would be skewed.
>
> What I do think is that women have a different style
> when they lead than when they follow.
>
> Quite frankly, though, I do not get what the recent
> fuss was about.  Women leading women and men leading
> men is already a fact of life at a milonga, except
> for
> in BsAs, (like this is a surprise?).  Denying it or
> pooh-poohing isn't going to change that for those
> who
> do not like it.  Oh well.
>
> Trini
>
> P.S.  Tom - nice post.
> P.P.S – I have a better sense of what a masculine
> tango means after watching and dancing with a young
> Argentine milonguero this past weekend.  There’s a
> solidity and sureness in his walk.  I am reminded of
> big bear that goes where he pleases and when.  I
> couldn't imagine feeling unsafe in his arms.
>

> --- Marisa Holmes <mariholmes at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I often wonder, since I lead, but do not have much
> > chance to follow other women, whether there is
> > actually anything that distinguishes us as a group
> > from male leaders.  I'd like to believe Nancy
> > (although perhaps I would not be one of the few
> > women
> > leaders with whom she would dance more than once
> ;->
> > ).  But I think I see something different when I
> see
> > other women leading.  Are there good followers (of
> > either sex) who can comment on general differences
> > between male and female leaders?  Or are there
> only
> > individual differences?
>
> > What do you say?  What is your experience?
> > Marisa
>

> PATangoS - Pittsburgh Argentine Tango Society
> Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's
> most popular social dance.
> http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com