[Tango-L] Choreography

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Jul 27 15:46:00 EDT 2006

Manuel

> Practically everybody dances a short walk, a partial turn to the right,
> the "ocho cortado", a partial turn to the left, back ochos, etc. ...
> Basically all those steps and moves are learned and rehearsed
> (choreographed ?) little sequences of steps. Most of us try to put these
> little sequences in places where the music seems to "fit" better.
> Basically, this is all the improvisation that I've seen in tango dancing.

Good grief. That's utterly tragic. Where is this tango scene you speak of?

> IMHO, to be totally improvised and spontaneous, the dance would have to
> be made from unplanned, unlearned ... movements.

Well, of course. That's what improvisation is. That's what makes tango so
special. And so easy. And so creatively rewarding.

Astrid wrote:

> I have never understood why some teachers, esp. stage dancers I suppose,
> teach by first explaining the step without the music, then have people
> practise the step without music, and finally turn on the music. When I
> ask, they say:"It is easier to do the step without the music first,
> because with music you might get it all wrong and not be able to follow
> the music."

That's all too common here too. One teacher said "The music interferes with
the step."

Of course she's right. Only one can come first.

Chris