[Tango-L] Choreography

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 13:43:42 EDT 2006

I don't understand all the hair splitting over
definitions.  This follower certainly knows the
difference.   In choreography, I KNOW what my partner
and I will do - it has been planned, rehearsed,
practiced.   In improvisation, I do not know.  The
only thing I am sure of is that there will be an
embrace ( of some kind) and music ( well, maybe not)
and from there on it is all going to be a lovely
surprise.

As for compas and cadencia:  in Buenos Aires tango
classes and as used by dancers, 'compas' means the
beat and 'cadencia' means the rhythm.

But of course, if Pliny the Elder defines it
otherwise, then that is what we should all be

And when someone refers to tango as an 'Art', that
tells me they need an audience to appreciate it.   I
don't.  I just need a partner and the music and his
soul....is that too much to ask?  ;-)

Nancy!