[Tango-L] Choreography

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 29 11:21:07 EDT 2006

--- "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

> Astrid wrote:
>
> > I have never understood why some teachers, esp.
> stage dancers I suppose,
> > teach by first explaining the step without the
> music, then have people
> > practise the step without music, and finally turn
> on the music. When I
> > ask, they say:"It is easier to do the step without
> the music first,
> > because with music you might get it all wrong and
> not be able to follow
> > the music."
>
> That's all too common here too. One teacher said
> "The music interferes with
> the step."
>
> Of course she's right. Only one can come first.
>
> Chris

Actually, the step interferes with the music: when you
learn a new move, you develop your kinaesthetic
perception in order to establish new reflex
connections, and any music played at the same time
will be ignored. Once these connections are
established and fluid enough there is a chance that
the student will be able to open their ears and move
to the music. Too often instructors, even world famous
ones, ignore this basic physiological fact and insist
on playing music from the very beginning. All they are
successfully doing is blocking the ears of their
students for many years to come, by encouraging the
early [& therefore more permanent] development of a
music-ignoring reflex. Paradoxically these are usually
the ones who say they can tango to any music [but who,
on closer inspection, can't dance to any].

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,
23b All Saints Road,