[Tango-L] appropriate?

tangosmith@cox.net tangosmith at cox.net
Thu Jul 20 12:16:45 EDT 2006

I agree with Marisa.  I personally find the idea that Alberto’s quote to be
approaching inappropriateness, in the context of a subculture generally
known for dancing in intimate, suggestive, “nipple-to-nipple” embrace with
strangers, rather odd.

His message was perhaps vaguely flirtatious and mildly humorous.  But it
was also a very interesting comment on perhaps one of the most important
aspects of the roles of the embrace and connection in tango, and that is
sensuality.

I firmly believe, as some others have noted here also, a connection (given
appropriate skills, etc.) can be achieved with a dance partner doing
virtually any dance regardless of the degree of separation in the embrace.
That is one of the true beauties of couples dancing.
What is much more difficult to achieve in dance is sensuality.  While
sensuality certainly may be achieved with separation, it is generally much,
much easier to achieve when the dancer’s bodies are in close proximity, and
generally, the closer the better.
I believe, for most people, both observers and dancers, the essence and
attraction of Argentine tango over other dances often lies in its inherent
sensuality.  Therefore, it is not surprising (at least to me) that many
would view the close embrace as essential to dancing “true” tango, that the
proximity of body-to-body contact is necessary to achieve the requisite
sensuality to make it “real” tango.
As someone who enjoys many different types of dance and admittedly doesn’t
believe that the close embrace is really necessary to achieve either the
connection or the sensuality, I still gladly choose to dance close embrace
tango anytime and thoroughly enjoy the sensuality it brings to the dance.
I think Alberto was simply trying to offer some insight on this aspect and
proclivity (of mine, his, and many others) in his message and quote.

W.B. Smith