[Tango-L] milonga-milongueros

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 01:30:32 EDT 2006

Alexis wrote, in response to Deby;
>And here we go again, for another round of arguments of authority
>(or rather worse, authority by proxy).
>What you've failed to recognise, BTW, throughout this entire debate,
>is that "dancing close" and "milonguero style" are not synonymous.

Alexis, what are you talking about? Argument of authority? By proxy?
Deby Novitz has more authority to speak on this subject than just about
anyone else on this list. And Deby hasn't failed to notice anything,
except that there was quite a bit of misleading misinformation being
thrown about. She didn't even offer her opinion, but reported her
observations and the reactions of a milonguero friend.

I, for one, would like to thank Deby for taking the time to send the
informative email (below), and I wish that we could enjoy more like it.
It's very nice to be able to read about the milongueros and their
thoughts. I wish I knew more Spanish so I could converse fluently when I
am in Buenos Aires. For now I have to rely on the translations provided
by Deby, and a few others, to get my news "straight from the horse's
mouth".

Thank you Deby, and Roberto, very much.

Regards,

Michael Figart II
Houston Tx

Deby Novitz wrote;
Last night when Roberto, Chris, and I came home from the milonga in
Avellneda, Chris went right to his computer.  We decided to translate
some of the recent posts to Tango-L for Roberto.  (OK, I translated)
When I translated the ongoing discussion where Gabriel insists that the
word "milonguero" is used throughout Latin America and his comments,
Roberto screwed up his face and went "Who is saying this"  Milonga
comes
from Lunfardo and it would be unlikely that other countries other than
Uruguay would adopt it.  I asked him "How long have people been dancing
close?" "All of their lives" he answered.  I read the posts from the
several people on the list about people not dancing close.  He screwed
up his face again and asked "Who are these people?"  "Pepito and Miguel
were my teachers."  he told us.  "Maybe a little bit of separation, but
not open."  When I mentioned that someone insisted Ernesto and Julio
Balmaceda and Facundo were milongueros, he laughed out loud.  Ernesto
was his student.

Roberto Dentone started to learn to dance tango when he was 10 years
old. His cousin made him learn to follow so he could practice leading.
At 17 he was tired of being the "girl" and demanded to learn to lead.
He started his professional career when he was 30.  Before then he
danced tango from when he was 18 until he decided to make it his life.
He is well respected here in Buenos Aires not only by milongueros, but
by show dancers, folkloric dancers, and pretty much anyone who has
contact with him.  His whole life is tango except for when I force him
into new experiences.  If you know milongueros they speak of the tango
as if it were a person.  Their whole life is the dance, the music.
Movies, TV, and pretty much everything else other than food do not
exist.  They do not care about money.  As long as they have a way to
get
to the milonga, buy a bottle of wine for when they go to someone else's
house to eat, and buy shoes, they are happy. The majority have never
been out of Buenos Aires and/or Argentina.  You do not have to take my
word for anything, but when I speak with Roberto, Mimi Santapa, Carina
Moriyuen, the late Ricardo Vidort, Gavito, Gachito, and many many
others, I tend to take their word and view of things over anything I
read on Tango-L.