[Tango-L] milonga-milongueros

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Jul 18 02:15:48 EDT 2006

> Deby Novitz has more authority to speak on this subject than just about
> anyone else on this list. And Deby hasn't failed to notice anything,
> except that there was quite a bit of misleading misinformation being
> thrown about. She didn't even offer her opinion, but reported her
> observations and the reactions of a milonguero friend.

Thank you, Michael, for pointing this out.
Sadly, sensible information on this list is lately often used by a small
number of what I quietly (no more) call "vultures", who seem to have nothing
better to do than to swoop down on other people's postings, pick them apart
and throw their egos around on this list. In Germany we say:"Paper is
patient".

Deby wrote:
> close?" "All of their lives" he answered.  I read the posts from the
> several people on the list about people not dancing close.  He screwed
> up his face again and asked "Who are these people?"  "Pepito and Miguel
> were my teachers."  he told us.  "Maybe a little bit of separation, but
> not open."  When I mentioned that someone insisted Ernesto and Julio
> Balmaceda and Facundo were milongueros, he laughed out loud.  Ernesto
> was his student.

Five years ago Nito and Elba came to Tokyo, together with Julio Balmaceda
and Corinna de la Rosa. Nito told us that Julio had once been his student.
When I mentioned this on the list, soon a lady from California posted the
following:"Julio Balmaceda wishes to inform you that the only person who
ever taught him tango was his father." Then I received mail from someone
else, telling me that as long as Julio's (famous) father was alive, Julio
showed no particular interest in tango.
It is up to you who you choose to believe. But I personally think, styling
your past a little to suit the resume you need for a job application is
quite a common practise. And it seems, especially (beg your pardon) among
dance teachers, at least in my experience.

Astrid