[Tango-L] Performance dancing

Gibson Batch gibsonbatch at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 13:45:02 EDT 2006

OK, I am not the best Tango dancer, and I do lots of dancing in places far
away from the general tango community....without the harsh eyes of 'those
who know' how to dance.

>From those who know little of dance, I invariably get unsolicited
compliments...nearly every evening...from a waitress, a stranger, or a
person next to me.

They will say how much they enjoyed watching me dance and they want to know
where they can take lessons, or how long have I danced, or most humorous of
all comments..."Am I a professional dancer?"

Only from 'those who know how to dance' at ballroom and tango events do I
get disparaging comments about this or that with my style, my choice of
step, etc.  These comments come not from anyone other than the very 'best'
of dancers (if I am reading their body language correctly).

No, I don't aspire to be an 'expert' dancing in any dance community, but I
dance to have a good time, to feel the motion of two people moving with
relative ease, and to help the other person feel beautiful and confident on
the floor.

So in a way, every dance for me is a performance - but the audience is two
people only - me and my partner.  The others can watch if they want.

Gibson
Minneapolis