[Tango-L] Performance and private dance are 2 sides of the same medal.

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Sun Jul 16 08:01:11 EDT 2006

Hi Igor,

One of the biggest irritations is the misconception that some people have of those who like to perform. Quite often their ignorance perceives the target as a 'Show-Off'...! "Look at that show-off!" "Who does he think he is!".

The thing is that there is quite a difference between being a 'show-off' and being a 'Showman', this difference of which you have briefly highlighted correctly in your posting.

The Ego Factor
In a tango environment, a 'show-off', I'm under the impression, is considered someone who flashes moves around willy-nilly with the intent of parading what he/she thinks is great dancing. However, a showman (in any environment) is someone who has an internal and natural ability and/or need to entertain an audience. There is an ego involved in both types. Now, I hasten to add that we ALL have ego... to varying degrees; it's one of the traits of human nature that encourages competition and thence physical, mental, technological evolution. It's a human necessity. However, in my (not humble :-)) opinion, the mis-applied ego of the 'show-off' can probably be classed as being of destructive in nature, while that of the showman as being of constructive (designed to entertain). There are, obviously though, other factors and personal aspects involved; nothing is ever 'classic', 'by the book', 'clean-cut'.

Performing vs Showing-off
>From another slant, the show-off does not necessarily have any great talent in either performing technique, ability, or indeed in what is being attempted to be shown off. The showman, on the other hand, will invariably have an ability to perform what is usually a precise and sometimes rehearsed 'routine', and do so in such a way as to entertain his audience by allowing them to see his 'show' as a performance rather than like a drunken karaoke slob on a 'hen-night'. The other important difference is of belief. A showman *believes* in the sense that he is entirely engrossed (although aware of his audience) in what he's doing. This is what makes a performance truly a performance, and a showman a performer. The moment the attention is taken from (in this case) his partner and/or his remit, his dance and, even fleetingly, transferred to his audience... all is lost. Any actor will tell you this. The status is in danger of becoming one of falsity... thus approaching the lack of
 talent and ability, the non-performance of the 'show-off'.

Now, I'm not a psychologist...well, not a trained one, anyway. I'm merely as much a psychologist as we all are, naturally, although I am fully correct about the performance/acting side of my posting. What I've been saying is all my own opinion.

Best regards

Dani
http://www.tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
(ongoing construction)