[Tango-L] Performance and private dance are 2 sides of the same medal.

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sun Jul 16 03:16:33 EDT 2006

I've just read Dani' message: "I prefer performing to social dancing... ":
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/%7Ellynch/Tango-L/2006/msg02229.html

You convinced me, thank you Dani. There is nothing wrong with performance
dancing, of course. I believe that performance tango dance is as old as
private or rather spiritual tango dance.

Were those gauchos not performing trying to show themselves off in front of
their comrades? ( Almost said "colleagues" :) ). And sure the girls in
certain places were performing trying to get a reach customer.

It was like competitions.

The same in other folk dances. Russian dances, for example, always included
element of individual competition. The best dancers always were considered
the best workers, smartest warriors, possible leaders, and obviously the
best fiance. They were the backbone of the community and were generously
supported by cheering audience.

There are at least 2 types of performance. To show themselves off. It is
like competition. Or performance for money like showmen do.  They are
different in some sense, aren't they?

Making a performance, or at least knowing that someone is watching,
certainly adds a new blood-boiling component to a dance.

Regarding Tango, there is one thing which competitions are not able to
illuminate. Who is the best tango dancer..

Thank you again!
Igor.