[Tango-L] Performance and private dance are 2 sides of the samemedal.

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Mon Jul 17 03:33:16 EDT 2006

Highly interesting, thank you.

Astrid

. However, in my (not humble :-)) opinion, the mis-applied ego of the
'show-off' can probably be classed as being of destructive in nature, while
that of the showman as being of constructive (designed to entertain).
> Performing vs Showing-off
> >From another slant, the show-off does not necessarily have any great
talent in either performing technique, ability, or indeed in what is being
attempted to be shown off. The showman, on the other hand, will invariably
have an ability to perform what is usually a precise and sometimes rehearsed
'routine', and do so in such a way as to entertain his audience by allowing
them to see his 'show' as a performance rather than like a drunken karaoke
slob on a 'hen-night'. The other important difference is of belief. A
showman *believes* in the sense that he is entirely engrossed (although
aware of his audience) in what he's doing. This is what makes a performance
truly a performance, and a showman a performer. The moment the attention is
taken from (in this case) his partner and/or his remit, his dance and, even
fleetingly, transferred to his audience... all is lost. Any actor will tell
you this. The status is in danger of becoming one of falsity... thus
approaching the lack of