[Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994

Andy.Ungureanu@t-online.de Andy.Ungureanu at t-online.de
Fri Jul 14 04:33:35 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:08:40 +0200
> Subject: [Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994
> From: Barbara Garvey <barbara at tangobar-productions.com>
>
> NEW TOPIC: Recent History
> I am curious about the introduction of such moves as colgadas,
> volcadas, and other new close embrace and/or nuevo techniques. Does
> anyone know who  invented what???
the cited "nuevo" developpment in the 90's by Naveira, Salas, Veron
et.al. included changes of direction, extensive use of sacadas by man
and woman (leader and follower for the p.c.'s ;-) , the concept of using
both sides equally and few others, but not giving up the vertical axis.
The tilt of the axis to the inside of the couple begun with the
"milongueros" or however you call them. Susana Miller taught in the
beginning (around 97) the women to lean on the men, even to hang, it was
very hard to dance. Later she changed the concept, giving up the
hanging, but the the couple still lean on each other. Around 2000 this
position was further developped to what now is called volcada.
The tilt of the axis to the outside (colgada) is a completely different
concept. Up to 2000 every teacher emphasized the importance of keeping
an accurate vertical axis for oneself. I first saw  Naveira and
Giselle-Ane doing an axis turn of the couple were both partners had the
feet nearly in one place in 99 or early 2000. In the workshops he had a
hard time to explain the dynamic of the move and to convince the women
to lean back and trust the men will not let them fall. He practiced this
himself with every man and woman in the class. Balmaceda did not this
kind of move before, but he used very soon a refined technique to do
several turns in this position. Cicho played around with the idea and a
lot of related movements appeared. Sebastian Arce and other
professionals worked together on developping a basic technique of
colgadas to allow them to be executed with any partner, not only with
the own one. About 2003-2004 every international festival had workshops
on colgadas and volcadas.
I have surely forgotten to mention some names and missed some years, but
this was the overall developpment as I could observe it.

Andy