[Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 17:37:05 EDT 2006

Hi Barbara,

Perhaps you can also confirm the increase of milongas to
what it is today.  I have heard that the milonga scene that
we know today in Buenos Aires is only about 12 years old.
Diego Vepes, Susana Miller's son, started a milonga at
Ideal and, afterwards, milongas began popping up.  I have
no doubt that milongas existed before then, but perhaps
they were more like social neighborhood clubs.  Now, I get
the sense that they are business enterprises.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Barbara Garvey <barbara at tangobar-productions.com>
wrote:

> Hi Tom, et al,
> Hope you are doing well -- we've mentioned you to several
> visitors from
> Colorado who turned up in our classes or practicas.
>
> I guess we have to repeat this discussion every time a
> few newbies join
> the List.
> The term milonguero *as a style of dancing* did not exist
> in Buenos
> Aires before 1993 or 1994, according to our experience.
> If anyone who
> was dancing there before 1993 has evidence otherwise,
> please speak up.
> We visited BsAs for about a month at a time in 1987, 90,
> 91, 92, 94 and
> 98; in 1994 (93?-- we weren't there in 93) Susana Miller
> began teaching
> and * heavily* promoting the term for close embrace style
> of dancing,
> mostly Tete's version, as the *only authentic social
> tango*.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm