[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

El Mundo del Tango mail at elmundodeltango.com
Fri Jul 14 02:59:32 EDT 2006

> Ron...If  you  understood Argentine culture as well as you claim
> to, you
> would know that "Milonguero" is simply someone who goes partying
> and dancing
> all the time, for social purposes, whatever style he or she dances.
>  The word is used all over Southamerica , is not exclusive of
> Argentina and
> it may have nothing to do with Tango, depending on context.

<<Gabriel, you need to travel more.  Get out of San Diego. Southern
California is a trap, and it eats at your soul.>>

I travel very often, Tom, including to your great Festivals in Denver. Thank
you for your concern.
And if you are saying, (not sure), that Southern California is Tangowise
behind other areas of the USA, I agree, but that is not the point.

<<Obviously (if you have spent any time in Buenos Aires), the word
milonguero is the most common term for the rhythmic, close-embrace
style of dance typical of numerous milongas in Buenos Aires. >>

Sure is the most common term everywhere . That does not mean is right or
correct or harmless. It is the most common term NOW because its promoters
have used it and  abused it to give themselves a bath of "glamour and
legitimacy" while between the lines throwing dirt on everybody else.

<<I have
sometimes heard this style refered to as apilado (?), or confiteria
(?), or estilo del centro (Lapadula), or club style (Arquimbau),>>

Arquimbau and Lapadula are nice men. They do not want to claim a word that
belongs NOT to them, but to all of us.

<<but
those seem to be personal names for the same thing, not generally
accepted ones.>>

Accepted by who? Its promoters? Of course they prefer "Milonguero". It works
better, but it is a lie. The meaning of the word is not related to style
whatsoever.

<<I've never heard of the tango style you call "Buenos Aires Style".>>

Not me, Tom...Some of the same people who call it "milonguero". It is
another dirty semantic trick to strenghten the idea  that they are the "real
thing".
They also claim is the most popular in BsAs and festivals
all over the world. They take advantage of the untrained eye beginners, who
confusse it with Salon in close embrace. Don't believe me? You should travel
to Southern California more often....

<<To me, apilado is more of a descriptive than a style. Maybe it is
similar to the english term close-embrace.
Contrary to your claim, the term "Milonguero Style" is definately  used to
name the style useful for crowded floors with fewer pivoting
ochos and frequent use of ocho cortados. Tango de Salon in Buenos
Aires pretty much means social style tango (without reference to
specific details) while Salon Style Tango in the US usually means the
slightly open style emphasizing pivoting ochos, circular molinetes,
sacadas, etc.
It may be that Susana Miller coined the term Milonguero Style, but it  is
quite widespread these days. For example, see the teaching  advertisements
in all the Buenos Aires tango magazines. Whether you
like it or not, Milonguero Style is one of the more common names given.
While you see every style in Buenos Aires (especially from  foreigners) it
is a bit hard to find milongas in Buenos Aires that  are not predominantly
milonguero, i.e. rhythmic, close-embrace.>>

You seem to be implying that Salon is not close embrace and is not
rhythmic...are you?

 <<I  have asked Sergio several times to supply a list of milongas where
classic salon (contrasted from the rhythmic, close-embrace with lots
of ocho cortados) is the majority style, but he hasn't reported on them.>>

If  he had, most people  in the US  AND in Bs As would not believe him
because they have been fooled into thinking that anything in close embrace
is the so called "milonguero".Hopefully, you are not one of those people,
Tom.

Gabriel