[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Fri Jul 14 10:07:01 EDT 2006

Tom Stermitz wrote:
> It may be that Susana Miller coined the term Milonguero Style, but it
> is quite widespread these days. For example, see the teaching
> advertisements in all the Buenos Aires tango magazines. Whether you
> like it or not, Milonguero Style is one of the more common names given.

Yes. And to imply that anyone not dancing that style is not a
milonguero (no capital letter) is an application of the principles
of Newspeak. After all, Gabriel was describing what the word
"milonguero" meant, not a certain style.

Are we now to brandish our pots of Tipp-ex(TM) to erase from history
all mention of e.g. Pepito as a milonguero, just because
nowadays, Milonguero Style describes something rather narrow?

Alexis Cousein                                al at sgi.com
Solutions Architect/Senior Systems Engineer   SGI
--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].