[Tango-L] Level of dancing in Buenos Aires milongas

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jul 7 17:35:11 EDT 2006

On the other hand...

The growth of tango in BA means that a lot more "normal" people are
doing tango, not just drug dealers, lounge-lizards, show-dancers. The
secretaries get off work at 5:00 and bring their dance shoes, then go
home at 10:00. You have clubs like Canning filled with regular social
dancers. The few foreigners in attendance are often as good or better
than many of the locals. A lot of them fit in pretty well, because
they are decent social dancers.

10 years ago the BA milongas could be difficult for a new guy. The
old guys with their dagger eyebrows, glaring at anyone who disturbed
the dance floor. There is a lot more tolerance now.

I've also noticed that the missing age-group is people in their 30s &
40s. I guess they have families and jobs and travel.