[Tango-L] Level of dancing in Buenos Aires milongas

Rick Jones rwjones52 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 16:01:56 EDT 2006

This discussion reminds me of something I read once by Rainer Maria Rilke.

By way of background, I have always been fascinated by Paris in the mid-Bell Epoque period circa 1905 or so.  For years I dreamt of how cool it must have been to have lived in Paris during that time.

Then I read some letters or something by Rainer Maria Rilke.  He was writing them from Paris during that period, and he was complaining about how Paris just wasn't the same anymore.  It wasn't like it was during the 1890s.

I had to laugh and realize that no matter what, some people will always be dissatisfied with how things are right now, and evoke some previous era as a much better time.

Buenos Aires 2006 is what we have right now.  Enjoy it.  Ten years from now it just won't be the same.

Rick Jones