[Tango-L] Level of dancing in Buenos Aires milongas

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Jul 7 12:23:19 EDT 2006

Hi there friends.

  I have been seeing this "change " for the last years , reasons are several but there is still a "new wave" that has not come yet.

  Actually at the milongas, you should have been seeing people born from the 70`s , but they are not there , also  the ones from the 80`s . Maybe, some young kids from the 90`s are getting interested in tango , but as a source for a job or an income, not as social dancing.

  Tango is not taught at buenos aires public schools, there is all a discussion about this, and an organization "Tango en la escuela ( tango on schools)" that is pushing to have a law to make tango a compulsory subject into the syllabus of the schools. This means that the teachers first, will have to recognize and apply this subject.

  Do you think kids at primary schools will be happy if they are enforced to learn tango dancing ?? I am not sure.

  I think it is good some activity made at primary and secondary schools, voluntary, non compulsor. There was an excellent woman, Alba Ferretti, unfortunately she died, that taught tango on schools with his partner Mauricio Soifer, he is still making the teaching .

  Also Olga Bessio and her tango for young people activity.

  All the festivals, tournaments.... are good, the city of buenos aires is plastered with posters with tango ... and nothing happens afterwards , at least nothing inmediately perceived as a new "wave"

  well, is an open matter, I am not sure what will happen , I do hope young people got interested, I have a compromise from my 15 year old son to have some "lessons about that tango thing" on a couple of years :)

  warm regards
  alberto gesualdi
  buenos aires

Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> escribió:
  10 years ago the milongas still had a lof 40 & 50 year dancers.

Things have grown a lot in Buenos Aires, which means that the
milongas are dominated with 1-10 year dancers. Some of them are quite
good, but the average is no longer what it was in the "good old days".