[Tango-L] Women stop studying, and the Tango Paradox

Bruce Stephens bruce at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 18:00:51 EDT 2006

"Nussbaum, Martin" <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov> writes:

> The recent thread by Ron Weigel and Tom Stermitz, as to the varied
> reasons why women stop studying (Astrid, your nirvana-for-leaders
> community is a rare exception)is the prologue to what I call the
> Tango Paradox.  The tango teachers never discuss the tango paradox,
> they wish to sustain the illusion that as you improve you will have
> more partners, not less.  For the upper tier professionals, there is
> no paradox, since as they continue to improve, the rewards are
> clear-- more commercial opportunites for teaching and performances.

I remember being told that the better I became the more choice I'd
have in partners (specifically that better dancers would want to dance
with me, so I'd be able to dance with them if I wanted).

I don't remember any teachers claiming that I'd find more partners
that I'd enjoy dancing with.

(And they made similar claims more generally, in classes.)

[...]