[Tango-L] Refusing the lead

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sun Jul 2 22:35:57 EDT 2006

This has happened to me very occasionally with extremely good
followers when we were dancing completely in the zone.

I KNOW they could follow, but suddenly and intentionally did
something different. Because it was a totally intuitive moment, I
instantly dealt with it, and went on, only realizing the "mistake"
after the fact.

I think it was their way of challenging me, or seeing what I could do.

One of these women was Brigitta Winkler. Those of you who know ho
playful she is, would not be surprised at my experience.

On Jul 2, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Deby Novitz wrote:

> I cannot imagine doing this.  I just cannot.  It blows my mind to
> think
> a woman could refuse the lead of a man because she does not want to do
> that step.  The only time I have done it is in a milonga with a man
> who
> insists on doing show tango moves with me.  I will not do it.  Show
> tango in my opinion  does not belong in a milonga, especially here
> where
> the floors are crowded.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org