[Tango-L] leading and following

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sun Jul 2 13:05:43 EDT 2006

Very interesting explanation, thank you, Ronda !
Reminds me of the time when I adjusted a man's tempo, and the teacher came
over and said:"You have to follow him." "But he is dancing out of rhythm", I
complained to her. "Well, if he dances out of rhythm then you... dance out
of rhythm too", she said. I don't think so.

> Hi Astrid,
>
> I have noticed this too!  My theory is that when a leader allows you to
step
> right with the music and on your point of balance there is great pleasure
> and no foot pain, but if the position or timing are off, you may be either
> sliding on your foot as he is trying to rush or delay you in or out of a
> step or pushing you off the balance point in which case your toes may grip
> to try to stabilize your landing or position.  So, I think the pain comes
> from muscles contracting and ligaments being twisted as we try to maintain
> our grip so to speak and from the friction produced by errors in timing.
> For me some of the greatest pleasure from dancing is when I am free to
land
> exactly on my point of balance exactly to the beat!
>
> Best Ronda www.tango-rio.com

Of
> astrid
> Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 2:30 PM
> To: Razor Girl; tango-l at mit.edu
> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] leading and following
>
> But let me ask another question: last week, another woman at the milonga
> told me:"I like dancing with this man and that man... but when I dance
with
> a beginner, my feet hurt." I have noticed the same thing: with certain
men,
> my feet start to hurt while we dance. With others, this does not happen.
Can