[Tango-L] leading and following

Ronda Patino rondap at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 2 12:25:58 EDT 2006

Hi Astrid,

I have noticed this too!  My theory is that when a leader allows you to step
right with the music and on your point of balance there is great pleasure
and no foot pain, but if the position or timing are off, you may be either
sliding on your foot as he is trying to rush or delay you in or out of a
step or pushing you off the balance point in which case your toes may grip
to try to stabilize your landing or position.  So, I think the pain comes
from muscles contracting and ligaments being twisted as we try to maintain
our grip so to speak and from the friction produced by errors in timing.
For me some of the greatest pleasure from dancing is when I am free to land
exactly on my point of balance exactly to the beat!

Best Ronda www.tango-rio.com