[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:04:42 EDT 2006

I haven't had much luck either, regardless of continuous encouragement. One
recent student however did venture out after only a couple group classes,
and I repeatedly pointed to her example for the others to emulate, still
with only marginal success. In Portland we have a very nice Sunday practica
that is low-key, totally informal, with all skill levels represented, and it
has been a sufficiently safe magnet to draw a few students.

The only other thing I've thought of doing is to actually TAKE the students
out after class, similar to what a lot of tours to BsAs do.

     www.TangoMoments.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Lois Donnay" <donnay at donnay.net>

So how does a teacher get her students to a milonga if they don't think
they're ready? I would love to see my students go out more often. Towards
that I organize several events that are easy to attend for dancers and
non-dancers alike. We have great, friendly dancers in the community who make
a point of dancing with beginners, a practice I encourage with rewards like
free lessons or admission.  Still some beginners won't venture out - "not
good enough yet" or "won't know anybody".

I would love to have the kind of influence that you seem to credit teachers
with!
Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN