[Tango-L] What do you want from tango - A matter of dedication....

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Apr 28 10:15:55 EDT 2006

To Tango well one needs talent, much time and total dedication.
  Many try to emulate, charmingly in their naivete, Tangueras/os whose entire life has been identified with Tango.
  They are bound, inevitably, to fail in their quest, but why deny them pleasure in their failure?

  Lucia

Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> escribió:There's  been quite a bit of writing about dancers not taking classes to  improve. Some have written women don't want to take classes. Others say  its men.

We really need to step away from the gender complaints and look at it from a people perspective.

I've  had this discussion many times with my teacher. "Why would anybody  accept dancing terribly?" Well, if you're in a community of terrible  dancers, you don't know good dancing so you don't have a basis of  comparison.

Not everybody wants to reach their potential. Some  are content to dance badly. They don't want to dance well. Their  attitude is "just show me enough so I can get up on the floor." Just  because I want to reach my potential doesn't mean everybody wants to  reach their potential.

There are women I won't dance with because it's no fun for me. It feels like I'm driving a bus (before they had power steering.)

Every  dancer has to answer the question "Is no tango better than bad tango?"  If "bad tango" is the answer, then better dancers are sending a message  that quality doesn't count if they continue to dance with poor dancers.  When quality becomes more important than quantity, maybe the word will  get out that to dance with a better dancer, you have to be a better  dancer.

Everybody comes to tango for different reasons. For  some, it's the dance. For others, this is where I find my next spouse  or intimate other. I remember one man told me that a woman was  "auditioning" men to be her boyfriend by dancing with them.

Why  don't we just call it straight? There are dancers with a professional  attitude "I want to be my best" and there are those who just don't  care.
I remember Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion (the basis for the  musical "My Fair Lady.") We can't turn other people into what we want  them to be. I stopped dancing with one woman. It wasn't important for  her to fix her pivot problem. I couldn't lead her in molinetes. I  finally stopped banging my head against the wall telling her to pivot.  I just stopped dancing with her. She's not happy about it. I told her  to do something about it. She did. She found somebody else!! Now, it's  his problem!!

This blunt talk reminds me of the movie "A few  good men." Col. Nathan R. Jessep yells "You can't handle the truth."  Maybe that's why the better dancers don't tell the truth to those who  don't want to improve.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Two more weeks till the all night milonga in New York. Hoping N and O are there.