[Tango-L] What do you want from tango

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 10:14:56 EDT 2006

Hmmmmm. It would be almost impossible to find two dancers dancing first time with each other to completely match their skills. So, there is always some negotiation going on at first.

I often encourage pure beginners (I am just an advanced beginner, if there is such a thing) to dance simply but to the music and with the feeling for the partner, the music, and the dance. To me that is more important than any number of fancy steps and figures done without meaning and without substance based in music.

So, the point is that with each woman I dance somewhat differently based on what works. Why would I try to force a molinete, for example, only to give up dancing with her because "she can not pivot" when thousands of variations of a simple walk, which can be easily initiated, can give infinite small pleasures? If I try certain figure and it does not work, I might try it again, just in case my lead was not clear, and if it does not work again I do something else without registering a complaint.

The other day during a practica a lady who is a fairly advanced dancer and I demonstrated how to dance close embrace simply and beautifully (too many people are quick to learn more advanced figures without ever learning to dance). We did nothing but walk, not even a cruzada was involved, not to speak of anything else, just walking with pausing, pivoting, and change of direction through a rocking step. We had a blissful dance to the music and people clapped at the end. Why? I think because they could not miss the fact that the two of us really enjoyed the dance and that alone was infectious.

So, to answer the question in the subject line, what I want from tango is a connection, a pleasure of two people sharing the gift for each other - a dance where both are enjoying it. A nicely danced figure can contribute to it, but is not a requirement.

BTW, I love dancing  milonga.

...dubravko