[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Thu Apr 27 19:46:46 EDT 2006

Contrary to Tine,
I think most women are good dancers.
And many many women are excellent.
An 99% of all beginners are able to make a fairly good dance with a good
leader (if not - he is not a good one yet).

I can say only opposite about men.

I think it is much easier for a woman to become a good tango dancer than for
a man, and never the less men are those who want to learn less. And Tine's
example shows just that!

I understand what Tine said. What she said means that those women are not
good enough to be perfect instruments in men's learning. It is difficult to
learn with not finely tuned instrument. They are good enough for dancing
with a good leader, but not good for a clumsy beginner. Because, that
beginner man must know how to follow! Of course, he does not.

I really appreciate advanced women for sharing their time with less advanced
dancers. That is how our community grows and that is how I grew myself. I
can not express in words how I am grateful! That is an attraction and most
important help for tango men.

Fewer women in the milonga classes? That is what supposed to be! I vote for
women/men = 1/10. :)
I believe that is the major reason why tango became tango. Why men should
torture women with their learning? They should practice with themselves or
hire a good teacher to bring them to shape.

But it is a dream, I do not think it will ever happen again like it was in
Buenos Aires.

How to attract men to classes? It looks like it is a real problem. I do not
know. Often girls bring them. May be with time, when Tango gains more social
status, and become less complex ( could  it? ).
Tango definitely has a potential of winning greater social status - you can
not dance any other dance in any place with any music, but you can tango!

Igor Polk.
PS She can not make a volcada? Jeeeeeeeeeee.....
But what a hell a man you are if you can not lead anything else!