[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 00:58:16 EDT 2006

Hola Igor,

Sean here. It wasn't so long ago that I thought just
like you do. But I have recently seen (but not yet
implemented) the wisdom of Tine's observations.

For years I have been one of those guys who always
tries to make my partners feel like they can do
nothing wrong. Many, many teachers have taught me to
do just that. Then last year, a top instructor taught
workshops in Pittsburgh for the first time. He had a
very different point of view. He held me personally
responsible for the burgeoning mediocrity of many
Pittsburgh followers because I make them feel like
they can really dance. He was very insistent that I
stop dancing with intermediate dancers, to encourage
them to improve. He also pointed out that when I make
a mediocre dancer look very good, it is very
discouraging to other advanced leaders who are not so
skilled at compensating for the women's mistakes.
Finally, I also discovered that in order to be always
ready to adjust for the woman's misstep, I hold back
my own intention.

It is clear to me that this guy is right on all three
points. By dancing with intermediate followers, I rob
them of the incentive to improve, I set an impossible
standard for the other men, and I hold back my own
development. But for the most part, I have not been
successful implementing a change. When I have told
women that I don't want to dance with them because
they have not improved in a while, their reaction has
varied in its unpleasantness, but it has never been to
start taking classes again. I hope Tine will also hug
the woman who started going to classes again. I wish
there were more honest women like her.

Sean

P.S.  I particularly like Tine's point about dancing
verses just following. I am sure any man knows exactly
what she means, but how do you explain it to the women
who don't lead? Does anyone have any tips for teaching
women to dance, instead of just following?

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:
In the dance everything depends on a man!

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm