[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

Yale Tango Club yaletangoclub at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 18:46:50 EDT 2006

Hi Martin
  Well I can tell you the reason why there are fewer women in the milonga classes, it's because women think they know everything and don't need classes. They think, if the dance isn't good it's because the guy didn't lead it well because if he had, I would have followed it well.
  I am a girl, and I lead and I follow and let me tell you, I always used to think as above, until I started to dance with girls and then it hit me there are a lot of bad followers out there, and I have renewed respect for the guys that they can look as good as they do, dancing with them. There are few followers who dance, most just follow, and many badly.
  Then of course, if the guys outnumber the girls in the classes, they are less inclined to keep coming to class, and then the women complain that there are more women than experienced men at the milonga. If there were more women in the classes to learn stuff and to partner the men, and if the women didn't complain so much, there wouldn't be a gender imbalance problem anywhere.
  One guy here, when a girl asked him why he didn't dance with her much anymore, he told her the truth, he said, because you don't bother learning and getting better. Of course next Sunday she came to class. And I hugged him and wished we had more honest guys like him.
  Tine

"Nussbaum, Martin" <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov> wrote:
  Stepehn Brown replied:
[ In many communities where I have DJed, I find myself playing
fewer milongas (and candombes) at most of the milongas than I myself would
like to dance to. I find that I am able to play more milongas at tango
festivals than in most communities--maybe because the general level of
dancing is higher among those who have the committment necessary to attend
a festival.
That makes me wonder if the lack of dancers on the floor when milongas are
being played may have something to do with a general lack of milonga or
rhythm skills in the communities where there isn't much milonga dancing.
Strange as it may seem, milonga classes aren't very frequently/widely
taught. ...]

Thanks Steve, Well, then what excuse can be made in NYC, where we have ready
access to continuing Milonga classes by Omar Vega, Armando Orzuzo, Ney and
Jennifer, plus a lot of visiting instructors? Also, in these classes, men
usually outnumber women almost 2 to 1. I think its a gender gap. Maybe
women just dont hear that primal beat the way men do. (That sexist comment
should get me lots of flaming e mails. :-) )
Yes, in Washington DC festival they definitely played more milonga and other
interesting and unusual stuff. Hope thats the case in Boston this weekend.

Desperately Seeking Milonga.