[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Thu Apr 27 18:23:45 EDT 2006

Stepehn Brown replied:
[  In many communities where I have DJed, I find myself playing
fewer milongas (and candombes) at most of the milongas than I myself would
like to dance to.  I find that I am able to play more milongas at tango
festivals than in most communities--maybe because the general level of
dancing is higher among those who have the committment necessary to attend
a festival.
That makes me wonder if the lack of dancers on the floor when milongas are
being played may have something to do with a general lack of milonga or
rhythm skills in the communities where there isn't much milonga dancing.
Strange as it may seem, milonga classes aren't very frequently/widely
taught. ...]

Thanks Steve, Well, then what excuse can be made in NYC, where we have ready
access to continuing Milonga classes by Omar Vega, Armando Orzuzo, Ney and
Jennifer, plus a lot of visiting instructors? Also, in these classes, men
usually outnumber women almost 2 to 1.  I think its a gender gap. Maybe
women just dont hear that primal beat the way men do. (That sexist comment
should get me lots of flaming e mails.  :-) )
Yes, in Washington DC festival they definitely played more milonga and other
interesting and unusual stuff. Hope thats the case in Boston this weekend.

Desperately Seeking Milonga.