PR Release WF - GRC ME54N

Mark Pyc mark.pyc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:00:14 EDT 2016

G'day Kjetil,

Some clients, such as this Govt example, have such complicated rules
regarding who should approve what based on who ordered, what was ordered
and where it was costed to that Release Codes are simply impractical both
from a definition, config and security allocation perspective.

Beyond this my statement around SoD is that security alone (Release Code
based or otherwise) can not prevent self approval. There are many instances
where someone needs to have the ability to key documents and approve
identical documents, just not approve the documents they keyed. I've heard
this quaintly referred to as "the four eyes principle".

WFs based on User Decision steps (where there is no authority check) with
WF-BATCH performing the Release is my preferred method where either such
requirement exists. Users have no access to the direct Release transactions
at all, and the WF agent determination logic, however it's implemented (be
it Resp Rules, BRF+, custom code) is the source of control, not allocation
of security Roles. The power of "excluded" agents provides more control
than Security ever can.

Regarding updating change logs to say something other than WF-BATCH, I push
back on this. WF-BATCH did perform the Release. If you want to know who was
involved in the approval review the WF log. This means when someone is
given "fire fighter" exceptional access to perform a manual release it's
obvious from the Change Logs.

Still keen to know if anyone does know of any issues of WF-BATCH PReq
Release....

Have fun,
Mark