Strange Behavior of Work Items

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Thu Apr 28 04:07:56 EDT 2011

Hi Sharuya,
Yes it could be an issue with terminating events.  Txn SWEINST should show you what event and instance the async tasks are waiting on.

Even if you don't have the event log on in production, you should have SWEQADM Basic Data Error Behavior on Feedback set to "Mark linkages as having errors" so that you can be notified of event problems and redeliver event failures.   If not, turn that on now - the default setting of "deactivate linkage" is not a setting anybody wants.

You may also want to turn the event log on temporarily - perhaps just for a couple of days - to see if you can pick up what is happening when the problems occur.  These days you can use SWELS to only turn the event log on for specific events to prevent performance problems (I'm assuming you are on ECC 6.0? )

You need to figure out if the event is not being raised at all; being raised but with the wrong instance/parameters for the task; being raised and impacting on the task but something else happening to prevent task completion.

Check the step history in the workflow log for the work item itself and any subflows and main workflow above to see if there are any other messages that might indicate the event was received but the work item could not be completed.

Hope that helps,
Jocelyn