Strange Behavior of Work Items

Shaurya Jain jain.shaurya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:54:02 EDT 2011

Dear Experts,

We are facing a strange issue with work items (asynchronous task). We use
this for PR release.

In recent times, it is been observed that user is executing the workitem &
approving the PR through ME29N. The PR actually moves to next approval level
& a new instance of workflow is created as it should be but the workitem
remains in user's inbox & the workflow will be pending in inbox. When I
checked the workflow log the work item status is shown as "In Process".

As a workaround, using workflow administrative tools I can complete the
workitem & complete the workflow without any impact.

I could not understand why workitems are hanging even when user is executing
it & going back from ME29 screen after saving the PR. This is happening with
no. of users & also not always.

I have checked the dumps also & there are none at the given execution time
as per workflow log. Can it be a issue with terminating events? We have not
activated the event log in Production system & thus cannot track the events.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Shaurya Jain