Background Workflow steps taking many hours to execute

Carolyn A Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 12 17:34:28 EST 2010

Hi all,

Recently, my end users have started complaining about the performance of some of their workflow background steps. They said that this has just recently become a problem.

Today, I looked at the logs for one of the excessively slow workflow background steps and it indicated that the background step was created at 14:37:49, then started and ended over an hour later at 15:40:06. This step normally takes less than a second to execute.

What could cause the hour delay between when the step was created and when the step actually started and ended?

The workflow in question is using XML persistence. I converted this workflow to using XML persistence about a year and a half ago.

---

Carolyn Fuller

Senior Analyst/ Programmer

Information Services and Technology