Workflow Upgrade 4.6C to ECC6 - manual settings during Cutover & Version

michael.mcley@daimler.com michael.mcley at daimler.com
Tue Nov 2 10:20:22 EDT 2010

Sandy,

I'm sorry I cannot answer your specific questions below (I only have
intermediate WF skillz).  However, each of your points sounds reasonable
and shouldn't take too long to check and see if it is necessary once you
have an upgraded test system to work with.  The real experts here can
probably provide you with better feedback.

I only wanted to make the point that we upgraded to ECC 6.0 roughly 1.5
years ago, and many of our workflows were trainwrecks afterward.  In fact
it was at that point that I really learned workflow as just about every
custom workflow we use broke after the upgrade.  Granted I work in a
heavily customized environment (the land of 'Z'...) so I don't think this
was so much a problem with SAP products, but of our own making.
Incidentally, we didn't seem to have any problems with pure out-of-the-box
SAP supplied workflows (which we mostly use in HR).

In any case, from my own experience (if I ever had to do this again), I
would:
1. Pay particular attention to agent determination, especially if you are
using custom agent determination rules and techniques
2. Seperate testing for new workflow instances versus existing instances
(those workflow instances that already are running at the time of the
upgrade).  Most of the problems we experienced were with already-running
workflows - of which there were hundreds.

The 2 areas where we experienced the most problems were with travel
approval and incoming invoice processing, which for us, are almost
entirely custom everything (objects, events, programs, you name it...).

Just a friendly FYI, nothing more.

Michael McLey
MBUSI - IT Parts & Administration
Mercedes-Benz US International, Inc.
1 Mercedes Drive
Vance, AL 35490
PHONE:  (205) 462 - 5239
EMAIL:   michael.mcley at daimler.com

sandysydney at gmail.com
Sent by: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu
11/01/2010 07:20 PM
Please respond to
sap-wug at mit.edu

sap-wug at mit.edu
cc

Subject
Workflow Upgrade 4.6C to ECC6 - manual settings during Cutover & Version

Hello Guys,

We are upgrading to ECC 6 from 4.6C and we are on release 701 & support
pack SAPKB70106.

I would like to know which are the "Manual activities" that needs to done
during cutover and WHEN should these should be done (eg. before ECC6
upgade, or after ECC6 upgrade but before config/dev transports, or after
config/dev transports).

I have looked on few threads and found the following info. Please correct
me or add extra info if i have missed something:

1. Configure RFC destination & other mandatory options in Transaction
SWU3.
2. Run Transaction SWU_OBUF to clear the runtime buffers before users
start Testing.

I assume rest of changes would be imported with transports, but i have
read through lot of SDN threads that all custom Workflow definitions needs
to be ACTIVATED in each system (DEV - QAS- PRD) and custom BOR objects
needs be REGENERATED in each system (DEV - QAS- PRD). Also, do I have
manually set the agent assignement for Customer Task as GENERAL TASK in
each system? Are above stated 3 steps needs to be manually done in each
system or transports take care of them ? I am bit confused. Could anybody
please advise me regarding the Manual Task/activities that needs to done
in each system during cutover during WF upgrade from 4.6 C to ECC6.

Thanks for posting excellent stuff regarding the Workflow Upgrades on this
mailing list. It really helped me in resolving most of my issues.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Regards

Sandy

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.