Problem Executing Secondary Methods

Michael McInerney michaelm at duke.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:58:23 EDT 2009

I wrote yesterday of a problem we are having concerning the launching of secondary methods on a task.  Since I did have some feedback from the group, and since we have further isolated the issue, I thought I would share here what we believe is a more specific description. We have submitted the following as a problem report to SAP - when it is resolved, I'll share the solution as well.

.Mike

We have a workflow exhibiting a problem that, after much unlayering, can be distilled as follows.

*       A variable of type string exists in the work flow container, and its parameters are set for import/export.

*       A variable of type string exists in the task container, and its parameters are set for import/export.

*       An ABAP Object method is called by the task and it manipulates the string.

*       The task can be called repetitively.

*       The string is always bound from the workflow container, to the task container, to the method, manipulated, and passed back to the task container and the workflow container as would be expected.

*       This all works fine.

*       Additionally, we have implemented a secondary method on the task which displays an image.

While the string processing continues to work well, we have found that our secondary method does not execute if our character string is more than 255 characters in length. If the string is less than 255, the image launch works fine.