Deadline Monitoring on Weekends and Holidays

Rick Bakker rbakker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:35:14 EST 2009

Hello Judy,

I think the most common mistake with using factory-calendar deadlines
is the adding of the offset in the deadline tab of the step itself.

Instead of:
Refer.date/time  Expression

Date            &ZQDEADLINE.DATE&
Time            &ZQDEADLINE.TIME&
                  + 24         Hour(s)

you should have something like:

Refer.date/time  Expression

Date            &ZQDEADLINE24HOURS.DATE&
Time            &ZQDEADLINE24HOURS.TIME&
                  +          Minute(s)

When you're adding offsets within the step itself, it doesn't take the
factory calendar into account.

ZQDEADLINE24HOURS is a workflow container element that gets
instantiated by setting its initial value in the workflow container.
For example, ZDeadline24Hours could be instantiated with the key
values:

Offset = 24
Unit = H (Hours)
Calendar ID = ZZ

I would undo the change to the execution schedule of RSWWDHEX, that
just complicates things.

regards
Rick Bakker
Hanabi Technology

On 2/23/09, Alfano, Judy (ISO) <JAlfano2 at massmutual.com> wrote:

> Hi All - I've found many questions about deadline monitoring in the
> archives, but so far haven't seen information about special handling for
> non-business days.
>
> We use a custom escalation process in several of our existing workflows.
> Recipients are selected from a user maintained table, and deadlines are
> calculated using a factory calendar that excludes weekends and holidays.
>
> For new development I'm working on, I attempted to get away from using that
> custom process and instead set up an Org Unit and some rules to distribute
> work items. I'm using the Latest End tab to set up a deadline currently
> based on the creation time of the work item, plus (for example) 24 hours. My
> problem has been that items created at 14:00 on Friday, escalate at 14:00
> Saturday instead of on Monday as I'd hoped. We changed the execution
> schedule of job RSWWDHEX to a calendar that excludes weekends, but this
> caused the items to escalate immediately after midnight Monday when the job
> started running again, so that's not quite right either. If the answer is
> that I need to calculate that deadline manually in order to skip certain
> days, I'm fine with that. But I wonder if I'm missing something that the
> rest of you know??
>
> Thanks very much - I'm pretty much a beginner, but have learned a great deal
> from all of your questions and answers!
>
> Judy Alfano
> MassMutual Financial Group
> Springfield MA

This
> e-mail transmission may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged
> and/or confidential and is
intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it
> is
addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by
any person other
> than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees is
> strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient or their
> designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete