Binding issues after transport to production

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:12:23 EST 2009

Carolyn,

When we upgraded a month ago I made sure we kept to the 'old' Persistence Profile approach on all of our Workflow definitions by specifically choosing that option in the version independent tab. I went out of my way to ensure we did not have them switch to the 'Compatability' mode as this was a little ambiguous in its behaviour.

I say ambiguous because I believe if the 'Create' or 'Change' version of the Workflow (I forget which) is somehow updated to be 'more recent' than '640' the system will start to treat it as if it used the XML container approach automatically. I proved this by creating a new version of the WF definition and kicked an instance off and watched as the system automatically classed it as '700' (or whatever version your dev system has) and started to treat it as an XML-based Workflow so updates were going to SWWCNTP0 not SWW_CONTOB.

We also had to implement an OSS Note to ensure that any active Workflow instances switched back to the old binding FMs when we upgraded, but I doubt that applies to you if you upgraded so long ago.

Like you, we have no intention of switching to the XML container for now because of reports and also error handling mechanisms that depend on SWW_CONTOB being properly updated. Trying to parse XML strings and dig through millions of tables entries just doesn't appeal to us!

We've had no problems at all with sending through binding changes from our ECC 6 development system so far though.
Regards,

Mike GT

From: fuller at MIT.EDUTo: sap-wug at MIT.EDUSubject: Re: Binding issues after transport to productionDate: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:39:49 -0500Jocelyn,

When we upgraded to ECC 6.0 a little over a year ago, I did not convert our existing workflow templates to use XML persistence. Therefore their profiles are all set as "Compatibility." I compared our container handling between development  and production via transaction SWU_CONT_PERSISTENCE. But this seems to be used to maintain the outdated "Structure" mode configuration. The table is empty in both environments. Is there another transaction I should run to check container handling?

We have reports that read workflow containers which is one of the reasons I chose not to convert. It is my understanding that converting to XML persistence means I would need to change these reports. Since we weren't experiencing performance or storage concerns I didn't have the incentive to convert. Also, wouldn't I need to change all the business object container operations if we converted?

A lot of these old custom workflow templates created by the non-workflow developer caused us heartaches during our upgrade to ECC 6.0, which is how I discovered some of his unorthodox practices, but they are all working smoothly now.

Carolyn