System performace Vs No.Of work items

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 19 05:51:28 EST 2009

Hi,

Performance around Workflow will always depend on lots of things, not least of which are the relative size and power of your SAP platform, the amount of work to be done and the number of users carrying out the work.

If you think 1500 is a big number then 3 MILLION would probably blow your mind...that's what we deal with every day by the way. Like I said the number isn't relevent really.

The symptoms you describe are more akin to the selection of data that is being carried out under the hood when a Work Item is executed. I would start looking at what your 'step-2' is actually trying to do and ascertain whether it's the Workflow bit of the step that is struggling (unlikely) or whether the code being executed, probably a SAP FM(?), could be tweaked in some way by some adjustments to the way it is being called or helped along by a database index change (almost certain).

Analyse what's going on behind the scenes and look for the real tables or functions that are taking the time.

Odds are it's not really Workflow at fault...

Mike GT