Status Management and 'Wait' step

Cristiana D'Agosto cristiana.dagosto at au1.ibm.com
Sun Aug 9 19:49:59 EDT 2009

Hi all,

we are on ECC 6.0 and using an add-on (Vistex) to handle all sorts of
rebates and agreements.

There are 3 possible status for an agreement: Blocked, Ready for Review
and Released.

When the user is ready to send the agreement for approval, he/she manually
changes the status from Blocked to Ready for Review. Status Management has
been configured so this change in status publishes the event
'approvalstarted', thereby triggering the workflow. So far, no worries,
all is working fine.

There are 2 levels of approval. Once all the approvers have approved the
agreement, the workflow sets the status of the agreement to 'Released'.
Once that has successfully happened, a few emails are sent.

Everything is working fine.

The problem I am having is when the agreement is manually set to
'Released', outside the workflow. If that happens, I would like to
terminate the workflow instance as it is no longer relevant. I have put a
wait step in a fork and I created a new entry in the Status Management
that publishes the event 'approved' when the status is changed from 'Ready
for Review' to 'Released'.

The problem with that is that regardless of how the status is set to
'Released' i.e. outside the workflow or inside the workflow, the workflow
gets terminated. If the status is set to 'Released' inside the workflow, I
need to send an email to the initiator and to Finance, but the workflow
gets terminated before I can send the emails.

I could set the steps to send the email to happen before the background
step that set the status of the agreement to 'Released', but I do not
believe this is good practice?

Any suggestions in how can I terminate the workflow when the status of the
agreement is manually changed outside the workflow?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Kind regards,

Cristiana
Cristiana d'Agosto