Limit the number of WI in inbox

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:31:44 EST 2008

Hi,

We had massive problems with high volumes of Work Items combined with high numbers of users assigned to the same HR Org objects. So much so, that we had to modify SAP's Inbox FMs to reduce the number of WIs selected per Work Item Task or HR Object.

A mod was our only choice because on 4.6c we don't have the new 4.7+ BAdI to hand to do this any other way. Here's hoping the upgrade to ERP 6 will remedy that :)

To give you an idea of the volumes we have some Positions with several hundred user valid assignments (in two countries) and hundreds of thousands of Work Items assigned. By the way SAP recommend capping user assignments to less than 50 if possible...ideally nearer 10 if you can.

In your case 2000 Work Items should be fine though provided you don't have 2000 users looking at them all at the same time!

One of the biggest problems we have (even with our mod) is that with so many users dipping into the same pool of work, more often than not it tkes them a couple of refreshes to actually find a Work Item that they can actually work, which can be very frustrating.

SBWP is also a bit dumb with assignment selection. If you're assigned to multiple HR org objects at the same time (say you have been given a job that crosses several teams) you have no way to focus on a particular assignment's queue. A Task filter is available but no HR Obj filter you see.

Another problem is that a manager has absolutely no visibility of his/her team's Work Items and cannot re-assign work around to balance the load. This can be a major cause of grief particularly when users grab work and then disappear (holidays, redundancies, laziness). Especially as no-one seems to bother appointing a substitute before they go :(

Partly for this reason I've built an alternative SAP Inbox here which allows agents to flick from assignment to assignment and also fetch the next available WIs from the queues without having to look at them first. And also it allows Managers to peek at their Team's work and manipulate it.

Oh and it's probably obvious but under no circumstances whatsoever should you use dynamic columns in SBWP if you have lots and lots of Work Items, especially complex fields or Business Object values. Just don't bother, or you could end up with inboxes that just hang forever.

Here's hoping that the new Java UWL is better suited to high volumes :)

Mike GT

From: asap at workflowconnections.comTo: sap-wug at mit.eduSubject: RE: Limit the number of WI in inboxDate: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:23:00 +0000

The only problem I’ve experienced is that over 32,000-odd items the item count shown in the folder tree becomes corrupt. However if you have that many items I think there are other more important issues to contend with. I think the same may apply in your scenario: if users have 2000 items pending then it may be time to review the way you’re using workflow.

You can always use the ‘grouped by‘ views to filter WIs by task or otherwise.

Performance issues are related to the overall amount of open items, not just a single user. In other words, of there are 50,000,000 workitems in a ready status, then the user with 10 items in their inbox will have almost as bas a response time as the user with 2000.

Cheers,
Mike

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Lalitha SankaranSent: 25 January 2008 01:05To: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: Limit the number of WI in inbox

Hi All,

Is there a maximum number limit for the number of Workitems in SBWP,

If there is none, then will the performance be effected when a user goes into his inbox to forward workitems ?

If in anyway we can limit the number that is displayed to the user by task or date, how would we go abt doing it ?

approximately they are expecting 2000 WI to be present in the inbox.

Appreciate any input

thank you

lalitha