Invalid execution GUID. Work item could not be executed

Sue Doughty Sue.Doughty at odfl.com
Fri Oct 12 10:43:33 EDT 2007

We are now in the process of upgrading to ECC 6.0.  We are currently in
DEV with the upgrade.  When this error happens in ECC 6.0 (Invalid
execution GUID. Work item could not be executed), the workflow caused an
error that could not be restarted.

SAP created note 1102097 to now make it a temporary error.

SAP's response also said:

The note does the following: It prevents the work item from going into
the error state for the reason observed in your system. Instead, an
exception is raised ob the method CL_SWF_IFS_WS_EXPORT=>LAUNCH_CALLBACK
which is part of your BSP implementation and takes care of the
work item finalization and the export data.

Please make sure that the exceptions of this method are handled
accordingly in your BSP implementation. If an exception is raised, it
means that the work item could not be finalized and the export data
could not be imported into the workflow container.

In your case (wrong execution GUID), there is concurrent execution of
the same work item by two users. Only on of them (the one who reserved
it first) can "win".

These workflows were already created when I started working here, so I'm
not very familiar with how the WEBSERVICE works behind the scenes.  SAP
said to make sure that the exceptions are handled accordingly in my BSP
implementation.

Could anyone help me get started in what I need to do handle an
exception in one of those methods?  How do you get to these methods?  Do
I change something in the workflow or something in the configuration of
the Service?  I am lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sue Doughty